The theater

The theater, from which the festival draws its name, is in a historic building on Aðalstræti 27 in Patreksfjörður (the fjord of Patrick), the westernmost fjord of the remote Westfjords. Built in 1934, the building originally served as a meeting center for Skjöldur (Shield) the Independence partys’ local society, which held their first meeting there in May 1935.

Around the year 1980 Skjaldborg underwent a total renovation and was transformed into an outstanding modern facilitie for cinema.

In 2003 the local Lions club took over the building, which was in a state of degradation inside and out, with the aim of restoring it to its former glory and hs since then managed a regular schedule of shows.